These flour tortillas are a great addition to any meal!
Serving Size: 1.5 ounces
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup warm water
- Extra flour for kneading and rolling
- Combine the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt in a mixing bowl and stir together with a whisk or fork.
- Add the oil and stream in water, a little at a time, until water is absorbed and dough begins to form into a ball.
- Remove dough from the bowl and knead on floured work surface until it comes together and becomes smooth, about 1 minute. Return dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 15 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and shape into eight balls.
- Dust the work surface and a rolling pin with flour and roll balls out into 6-inch circles.
- Set a cast-iron pan or other non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add a tortilla and cook 1 minute (tortilla will turn light brown in spots). Flip and cook the other side an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the pan and place in a kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Repeat this process with the remaining tortillas, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
Puree ½ cup thawed, frozen spinach with 2 tablespoons warm water. Add additional water as necessary to make ½ cup. Substitute pureed spinach mixture in place of water in basic recipe.
Roasted Red Repper Tortillas
Pureé ½ cup roasted red bell peppers. Once pureed, add enough warm water to measure ½ cup. Replace pureed pepper mixture with water in recipe.
Calories: 109; Total fat: 4g; Saturated fat: 0.5g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 121mg; Carbohydrates: 17g; Fiber: 2g; Sugars 0g; Protein 3g; Potassium: 63mg; Phosphorus: 62mg