Adapted from Bon Appétit, Apr. 1998
- 1 c. dry black beans (3 c. cooked beans)
- ½ c. tahini
- ¼ c. + 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ c. (packed) chopped cilantro
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 T. olive oil, plus garnish
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ¼ – ½ t. cayenne pepper
- optional: roasted red peppers
- to serve: paprika, raw veggies, pita bread (try our local pita from Hoard’s Bakery!), anything you like with hummus
For kiddos, reduce (or remove) the garlic and green onions. For yourself, feel free to increase them!
- Soak dry beans in plenty of water for 2-4 hours.
- OR bring them to a boil in plenty of water, remove from heat, and cover for 1 hour.
- Drain, then boil in fresh water for 30-45 minutes. Drain.
- Combine everything in a food processor until smooth.
- Season to taste – you may like more lemon, more tahini, spices, etc. It is fully customizable.