This winter warmer is a healthy twist on a classic comfort food and includes Turmeric, a known cancer fighter.
- 4 TB butter
- 4 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 chicken breast, cooked & diced
- 2 cups cooked brown & wild rice
- ½ cup (4 oz.) evaporated milk
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add green onions and stir for 2 minutes until soft.
- Stir in flour for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, spices, carrots, and mushrooms. Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, rice, and evaporated milk. Simmer 2 minutes.
Per cup: 173 calories, 9 grams protein, 17 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams fat, 326 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber