2 large dinner salads
- 1/4 cup organic cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups stemmed kale leaves lightly packed
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 large sweet apple
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons salted, roasted sunflower seeds
- To make the dressing, combine all of the dressing ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. Taste, and add extra salt if necessary.
- To make the salad, chop the kale into very fine pieces and place it into a large mixing bowl. Add the toasted pecans.
- Quarter and chop the apple into 1-inch pieces and add it to the bowl.
- If using the cheese, cut it into 1/2-inch cubes, and add it to the bowl.
- Pour as much of the dressing as desired over the salad and toss well to combine. Sprinkle sunflower seeds over the salad. Divide into 2 large dinner portions, or 4 side portions, and serve immediately
- Store any leftover dressing in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.