Sometimes called “Shipwreck,” this casserole was developed to use leftovers or past-prime vegetables. This updated version features more modern flavors and ingredients.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Serving size: 1½ cups
- ⅔ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1¼ cups (300 milliliters) water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 teaspoons (15 milliliters) olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups peeled and thinly sliced sweet potatoes (1⁄8-inch thick)
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups chopped fresh Swiss chard
- 5 ounces plain goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Place quinoa and water in a 2-quart saucepan. Season with ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- While quinoa cooks, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey, rosemary and garlic. Cook until meat is browned, about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Remove mixture from pan and place in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and thyme and sauté until onions are soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Season with ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Mist a 2½-quart (or 9-by-13-inch) casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Layer sweet potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish and season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Spread onions on top of potatoes and quinoa over the onions.
- Place mushrooms on the quinoa and season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Layer chard on the mushrooms and then add the cooked turkey mixture.
- Sprinkle goat cheese on top, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: CALORIES 297; TOTAL FAT 15g; SAT. FAT 6g; CHOL. 64mg; SODIUM 497mg; CARB. 20g; FIBER 3g; SUGARS 3g; PROTEIN 21g; POTASSIUM 574mg; PHOSPHORUS 334mg