Prep Time 5 min
Cook Time 30 min
Servings 3 Lattes
Serving Size 1 Latte
- 1 star anise
- 12 whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 three-inch sticks cinnamon
- a few dashes ground white pepper
- 1 green cardamom pod cracked open
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups skim milk (or non-dairy alternative)
- 4 black tea bags
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (canned)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (vary to suit your taste)*
- 2 tablespoons double vanilla extract
- light whipped cream or cashew cream (optional)
- Place star anise, whole cloves, allspice, cinnamon sticks, white pepper, green cardamom pod and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat; let steep, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add milk to saucepan and bring to a simmer; remove from heat, and add tea bags, pumpkin, maple syrup and vanilla. Let steep, covered, for 10 minutes. Strain into serving mugs. Top with whipped cream or cashew cream if desired.
For vegan version, use non-dairy milk and cashew cream in place of whipped topping.
*For a lower sugar option, use sugar substitute and some maple flavoring to taste.
Per Serving Calories 137 | Total Fat 4g | Sodium 444mg | Total Carbohydrates 23g | Protein 2g