A quick and easy take on pizza, a tortilla is topped with sauce, cooked vegetables and cheese and gently toasted in a skillet.
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
SERVING SIZE: ½ of a 10-inch tortilla pizza (167 grams)
- ¼ cup (52 milliliters) low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 cup white button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (115 milliliters) canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup canned refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheese (dairy or non-dairy), divided
- ½ cup fresh tomatoes, diced and divided
- 2 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- Heat vegetable broth in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables become soft and most of the broth has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, mix the tomato sauce and refried beans in a microwave-safe bowl until well combined. Cover and cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Place tortilla in a large skillet over low heat. With the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula, spread half of the refried bean and tomato sauce mixture onto the tortilla to make a thin, even layer. Then, layer on ¼ cup cheese and ¼ cup diced tomatoes. Add half the cooked vegetable mixture on top and sprinkle on another ¼ cup cheese.
Photography by David Raine | Food styling by Kim Hartman | Prop styling by Michelle Wilkinson