PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 1 hour
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup (140 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) canola oil
- 10 cups sliced white cabbage (sliced into ½-inch strips)
- ½ cup (120 milliliters) water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) soy sauce
- 6 cups cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, grated (including any liquid)
- ¼ pound ground beef (90% lean)
- ¼ pound ground pork
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon (65 milliliters) 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (181°C).
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat and add oil.
- Sauté cabbage in batches for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Cabbage should be soft and have some browning.
- Once all batches are cooked, return all cabbage to Dutch oven or pot and add water, brown sugar and soy sauce.
- Stir well to combine and simmer until all water is gone, about 10 minutes.
- Remove cabbage from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Drain off excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, cooked mushrooms, meat, rice, egg, milk, salt and pepper.
- To a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, add half the cabbage in one layer.
- Top with the meat mixture, then top with remaining cabbage.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
PER SERVING: 120 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 29mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 7g sugar, 8g protein, 467mg potassium, 135mg phosphorus