This mini pie recipe is a healthier option for a Valentine dessert that will dazzle a crowd. You can prepare these mini pies through Step 6 up to a day ahead. Remove from the freezer (Step 7) just before serving to keep the whipped topping from melting.
15 mini pies
1 mini pie
- 12 whole chocolate graham crackers (2 1/2 x 5 inches)
- ¼ teaspoon lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 4 cups fat-free whipped topping, such as Reddi-wip (6.5 oz.), divided
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ⅛ teaspoon red food coloring (Optional)
- 2 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 15 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- Process graham crackers in a food processor into fine crumbs. Add brown sugar and pulse to combine. Whisk egg and butter in a small bowl. With the motor running, add the butter mixture through the feed tube and process until a dough comes together.
- With damp fingers, lightly press about 2 Tbsp. of the dough into the bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup.
- Bake the crusts until the edges start to crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Spread 1/2 tsp. chocolate into the bottom of each crust with an offset spatula. Freeze until set, about 15 minutes.
- Gently fold 1 cup whipped topping, confectioners’ sugar, peppermint extract, and food coloring (if using) in a medium bowl with a flexible spatula until combined. Fold in 2 more cups whipped topping. Divide the mixture among the chilled crusts, using about 2 Tbsp. for each; freeze until set, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Just before serving, remove the mini pies from the freezer. (Remove the paper liners, if desired.) Top each with a dollop of the remaining 1 cup whipped topping and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy. Serve immediately.
Sugar Substitute: We do not recommend one for this recipe.
Equipment: 2 standard muffin tins, paper liners
Per Serving: 76 calories; protein 0.8g; carbohydrates 11.1g; dietary fiber 0.4g; fat 3.3g; saturated fat 1.8g; cholesterol 16.5mg; vitamin a IU 65.3IU; folate 2.1mcg; calcium 9.6mg; iron 0.3mg; magnesium 5mg; potassium 30.1mg; sodium 24mg.
© Copyright 2021 eatingwell.com. All rights reserved. Printed from http://www.eatingwell.com 01/04/2021