Vegetarian, meal-prep friendly, easy, and delicious, you’ll make these over and over again.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Food processor
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs gluten-free is ok, too!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 6 whole wheat burger buns
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into slices
- 6 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 medium, ripe tomato, sliced thinly
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the beans/chickpeas and pulse them for 30 seconds until they are combined and start to form a batter.
- Add the onion and garlic and pulse for another 15 seconds.
- Add the eggs, cumin, salt, and pepper and pulse for a final 15-20 seconds until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour in the breadcrumbs and oats and pulse just until they incorporate into the batter.
- Divide the mixture into 6 portions with your hands, form them into round patties, then place them on the prepared pan, pressing them down gently with your palm so they’re burger shaped.
- Bake the burgers for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through until they’re lightly crisp on the edges and lightly browned.
- Serve the burgers hot on buns with the avocado slices, lettuce and tomato. Use ketchup and mustard or any other toppings if desired.
Author: Ginger Hultin