A homemade alternative to store-bought cranberry sauce with delicious hints of pineapple and orange to complement the flavor!
- 24 oz fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked through
- ¾ cup pineapple juice or orange juice
- ½ cup no sugar added applesauce
- ½ cup water
- juice and zest of one orange
- 3-4 TBSP honey or sugar substitute to taste (optional)
- Put cranberries, fruit juice, applesauce and water in a sauce pan and and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat and stir constantly until the cranberries start to explode (about 10-15 minutes).
- Reduce to a simmer and add the juice and zest to the cranberry mixture.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes and remove from heat.
- Cool completely and store in fridge at least 4 hours but preferably overnight before serving.
This is not as sweet as store-bought versions! Taste at the end of cooking. It is naturally sweet from the fruit juice and applesauce but you can add more honey or stevia to taste if needed.
Author Katie Wells
Serving Size 1/2 cup = 98 kcal, 21 gm carb, 0 gm protein, 0 gm fat, 4 gm fiber, 0 mg sodium