Healthy mushroom risotto made with brown rice is creamy comfort food at it’s finest! Make this cozy vegetarian risotto traditionally on the stovetop or make it quick and easy in the Instant Pot! (gluten-free, vegetarian)
- Author: Kaleigh
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: about 12 cups
- Category: side dish
- 6-8 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8oz) containers mushrooms, sliced (I like baby bellas)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup gruyere or good quality parmesan cheese, grated
- In a saucepan, keep broth warm over low heat.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until rice is toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan by scraping the browned bits with a spoon. Turn heat down to medium low and stir until liquid is absorbed.
- Add broth, about half a cup at a time, stirring until liquid is just absorbed each time. Keep adding liquid and stirring until rice is fully cooked and creamy. It will take about an hour to an hour and a half.
- Once rice is fully cooked and creamy, stir in grated cheese.
- Serve hot.
- It may seem like the rice will never soften. It will. Keep stirring.
- If you run out of broth before the rice has softened all the way, add water to the saucepan to keep warm and use it to continue cooking the rice.
- For vegan, omit the cheese and use vegetable broth.
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Reduce liquid measurements to 3/4 cup of wine and 4 cups broth.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté mode on Normal. Press +/- buttons until time reads 10 minutes.
- Add olive oil to bottom of pot. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring until vegetables are softened.
- Add rice, salt and pepper to pot. Stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up the browned bits at the bottom. Add wine and continue to deglaze bottom of the pot. Add all of the broth.
- Close lid and set vent to “Sealing.” Set pressure to High and press +/- buttons to reach 35 minutes.
- Once timer goes off, carefully release pressure by turning vent to “Venting.” Remove lid once valve has dropped.
- Stir in cheese. If you need to thin the risotto, add broth or milk as needed. If risotto is too thin, heat on Sauté mode, stirring until thickened.
Find it online: https://livelytable.com/healthy-mushroom-risotto/