Healthy Spinach and Artichoke Dip Recipe
4 cups water
1 6-ounce bag of fresh spinach
¼ cup fresh basil
1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans, unsalted
1 14-ounce can of artichoke hearts, unsalted (or frozen)
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 ounces low-fat cream cheese
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup + 4 tablespoons low-fat, low-sodium mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, boil 4 cups water. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. When water comes to a boil, add spinach and basil in small batches and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the ice bath to stop the cooking process and retain a vibrant green color. Squeeze as much water out of the spinach and basil as possible (squeeze excess liquid over a mug and drink if you like…it’s full of nutrients!).
- In a food processor, combine cooked greens, cannellini beans, artichoke hearts, garlic, cream cheese, sea salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and fold in a ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Fill 4-ounce ramekins with dip mixture and top each with a sprinkle of remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese on top is brown and bubbly.
- Serve with pita chips or fresh veggies.
For a cold dip, simply combine beans, artichoke hearts, garlic, sea salt, pepper, spinach and basil.
Serving size: 4 ounces
Calories: 100; Total Fat: 3 Total Saturated Fat: 2; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 10g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 180mg; Vitamin A: 15%; Vitamin C: Vitamin C: 8%; Calcium: 10%: Iron: 10%.
Stacey Antine, MS, RD, is founder of HealthBarn USA.