One-Pot Chicken Thighs and Orzo
SERVING SIZE: 1 thigh and 1 cup orzo and sauce (310 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 grams
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup whole-wheat orzo
- ¼ cup (60 milliliters) apple cider
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) low-sodium chicken stock
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a Dutch oven or heavy oven-safe pot on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and brown for 2 minutes.
- Turn over chicken and brown for another 2 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot, place on a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil, onion and pepper to the pot and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add oregano, cinnamon, salt, pepper, cumin and orzo and sauté for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add cider and deglaze pot by stirring continuously and scraping up any brown bits from the bottom.
- Add tomatoes and stock and stir well.
- Return chicken to the pot and stir.
- Place pan in the oven (uncovered) and bake 30 minutes.
- Stir once halfway through cooking time.
- To serve, top with feta cheese and parsley.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 270 calories, 13g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 111mg cholesterol, 640mg
Abbie Gellman, MS, RD, CDN,