Pizza Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Yield: Serves 2
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps (cleaned, with stems and gills removed)
- 1/2 cup quinoa (will make about 1-1.5 cups cooked)
- Sun-dried tomato pesto or tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 8-10 Kalamata olives
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the quinoa according to package directions, then transfer it to a large bowl
- Meanwhile, place the mushrooms stem side down on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 8-10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are in the oven, chop your olives and add those to the quinoa along with one heaping spoonful of the pesto (or tomato sauce) and about 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese, mix everything together well.
- Once the mushrooms are done, flip them over and divide quinoa mixture between each cap. Then top with mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup each).
- Put them back in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. I like to turn the oven on broil for a minute or two to get the cheese browned and bubbly!
- Top with basil.