- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, cut crosswise in 1/2-inch slices
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 mint sprigs, for garnish
- In large, stainless steel or other non-reactive saucepan, combine rhubarb and water. Cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Set covered pot aside to steep for 10 minutes.
- Set large strainer over bowl. Pour contents of pot into strainer and drain liquid into bowl. Using back of wooden spoon, press very lightly on rhubarb, just to extract liquid that drains easily. Pressing too firmly will make infusion cloudy. Discard pulp. Pour liquid, about 4 cups, into jar or other container, preferably glass, and let sit until room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To serve Refresher, measure 3 cups rhubarb infusion. Pour 1/2 cup into pitcher, add strawberries, and muddle until combined. Pour in remaining rhubarb infusion and orange juice. To serve, divide Refresher among 4 ice-filled, tall glasses. Garnish each glass with mint sprig, if using. For single serving, in a glass, combine 1/4 cup rhubarb infusion with 2 strawberries, and then add remaining 1/2 cup infusion, 1/4 cup orange juice and ice.
Optional: sweeten to taste with agave syrup, honey or sugar.
Per Serving: 30 calories, 0 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 1 g protein, 0 mg sodium.