Give beef a break and try quick, simple salmon burgers. Combine salmon with red onion and fresh basil to make a hearty burger with fewer calories. Enjoy on toasted focaccia bread for a gourmet meal that’s ready in 10 minutes.
Makes 4 burgers.
1 burger on focaccia
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1-pound) salmon fillet, skinned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 large egg white
- Cooking spray
- 8 (3/4-ounce) slices focaccia, toasted
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine hot pepper sauce and egg white in a small bowl; add egg white mixture to salmon mixture, stirring well to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add salmon patties, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve patties on toasted focaccia.
Per Serving: 320 calories, 29 gm protein, 24 gm carbohydrate, 12 gm fat