Double or triple this recipe—chili freezes well. Serve it straight up or try one of these serving suggestions: fill a tortilla with chili, serve chili over spaghetti noodles, or top a baked potato with chili.
Makes approximately 10 cups
- 3 skinless chicken breast halves, bone intact
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 4-1/2-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 15-ounce can corn, drained
- 2 15-ounce cans Great Northern beans (or another white bean)
- 1 cup green tomatoes or tomatillos, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Bring chicken, water, onion, and cilantro to a boil in a large stockpot. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove chicken and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil, stir in tortillas, and turn off heat.
- Pull chicken off the bone and cut into bite-sized pieces. Return to stockpot.
- Add chiles, corn, beans, tomatoes, fajita seasoning, and garlic salt.
- Add tortilla/broth mixture to stockpot and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice to chili and serve.
Per Serving (approximate) 330 kcal and 5 gm fat. From ACS Celebrate! Healthy Entertaining