PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 4 hours 30 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup (270 grams)
- 1⅓ cups yellow split peas, rinsed and sorted
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1½ cups sliced parsnips
- 6⅓ cups (1,500 milliliters) water
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1½ tablespoons dried marjoram
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4½ hours, stirring every hour, until peas are soft.
- Let cool slightly to allow soup to thicken before serving.
In Sweden, it is common to top yellow pea soup with a dollop of brown mustard.
PER SERVING: 198 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 581mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate, 13g fiber, 9g sugar, 11g protein, 725mg potassium, 162mg phosphorus