Frozen vegetables and tiny pasta stars cooked in a flavorful tomato-based broth is inexpensive, delicious and healthier than canned soup.
Serving size: 1¼ cup
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 2 cups low-sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups frozen vegetable blend (carrots, peas, green beans)
- 6 ounces stellini star-shaped pasta
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring tomato juice, broth, Italian seasonings and garlic clove to a boil.
- Add in the frozen vegetables and stellini pasta. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes until pasta is cooked and soup has thickened slightly.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve.
Calories: 250; Total fat: 2g; Saturated fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 3mg; Sodium: 736mg; Carbohydrate: 44g; Fiber: 7g; Sugars: 4g; Protein: 12g; Potassium: N/A; Phosphorus: N/A
Alexandra Caspero, MA, RD, is owner of Delicious Knowledge in Sacramento, Calif.