This warming vegetable barley soup uses easy-to-find produce and frozen veggies, making prep simple and easy. It makes plenty to feed a hungry family, plus it freezes beautifully so leftovers can be enjoyed again and again.
Julia Levy- Eating Well
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 8 ounces sliced fresh cremini mushrooms
• 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (or fresh fennel chopped)
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
• 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
• 1 cup pearl barley
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon ground pepper
• 2 cups frozen cut green beans
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
• Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and basil for garnish
• Step 1
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are lightly browned, and the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add carrots, fennel seeds and oregano; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, broth, barley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat.
• Step 2
Reduce heat to medium to maintain a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in green beans and peas; cook over medium heat until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar. Garnish with parsley and basil, if desired.
Tips To make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 2 1/3 cups
Per Serving: 283 calories; protein 8 gm; carbohydrates 51g; dietary fiber 12 gm; fat 5.3gm; calcium 135 mg; iron 3.2mg; magnesium 56 mg; potassium 583mg; sodium 421mg.