Warm apple cider is the perfect winter comfort drink. This special version combines two potent spices, ginger and turmeric for a unique flavor and nutrition profile. Fresh ginger, for example, contains a pungent substance called gingerol while turmeric gets it characteristic yellow hue from the class of cancer-fighting compounds, curcuminoids. Both are being studied for their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- 1 cup fresh sweet apple cider
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. grated fresh turmeric
- 1 1/2-inch by 1/2-inch strip lemon peel, white part included
- Dash of cinnamon, optional
- In small saucepan, combine cider, ginger, turmeric and lemon peel. Over medium-high heat, heat until ring of bubbles appears around edge of pan, 3 minutes.
- Cover pan and set aside to steep for 5 minutes.
- Pour hot-spiced cider through fine tea strainer into mug. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: 130 calories, 0 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 31g total carbs, 1g dietary fiber, 0g protein, 25mg sodium