PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
SERVING SIZE: ½ cup (125 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup canned white or yellow hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) unsalted vegetable stock
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 4 to 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in garlic and sauté 30 to 60 seconds until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, oregano, curry powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
- Stir in hominy, pinto beans and vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until liquid is mostly absorbed. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: 142 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 2g sugar, 4g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus