1 teaspoon oil, canola
1/2 cup asparagus cuts, frozen or fresh
1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
1/3 cup egg substitute
1/8 teaspoon parsley, fresh chopped
- slice(s) bread, whole-wheat
2 teaspoon margarine with plant sterols (e.g. Take Control or Benecol) or canola oil-based (Canola Harvest)
1. Heat oil in small sauté (fry) pan.
2. Add asparagus and mushrooms; sauté over low-medium heat until almost cooked.
3. Add egg substitute and cook until egg is set. Remove from heat.
4. Toast bread and spread with margarine while hot.
5. Place cooked frittata on serving plate and sprinkle with parsley. Enjoy.
Calories 328, Fat 13g, Cholesterol -, Sodium 420mg, Saturated Fat 2.5g, Protein 16g, Fiber 4g, Carbohydrates 31g
THE MAGICAL VINAIGRETTE FORMULA from KitchenTreaty
1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil
+ salt and pepper to taste
As in the formula above, aside from oil and vinegar, the only other thing you really need for a super simple vinaigrette is a bit of salt (I like kosher salt or sea salt) and pepper (I prefer freshly ground black pepper).
But it’s fun to do more, if you want! Here are some ideas for deliciously aromatic add-ins:
- Fresh chopped herbs like dill, basil, parsley, cilantro, mint, or thyme (dried herbs work, too)
- Finely minced garlic or fresh ginger
- Shallots, scallions, or onion
- Bold cheeses – finely grated or crumbled – such as Parmesan, Pecorino Romano, Gorgonzola, or feta
- Crushed red pepper flakes, a bit of horseradish, or even a bit of Sriracha add a bit of heat
- Dijon mustard adds flavor and acts as an emulsifier – it’s kind of vinaigrette’s “best pal”.
- Sugar or honey helps mellow the vinegar’s acidity, if necessary, plus, honey works as an emulsifier, too.