Skillet Chicken Thighs with Lemon Butter Sauce
A cast-iron skillet gives chicken thighs a crisp texture, and homemade lemon butter sauce adds extra flavor.
SERVING SIZE: 1 thigh (180 grams) and ⅔ tablespoon sauce (7 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 12 minutes
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) avocado oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Heat an 8-inch or 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- While skillet is warming, add to a small bowl garlic powder, ½ teaspoon sea salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Arrange chicken thighs on a large plate, then use sharp kitchen shears to trim fat from the edges.
- Sprinkle half the spice mixture over chicken thighs, flip and repeat.
- Add 2 tablespoons avocado oil to the skillet and let warm for about 60 seconds.
- Place 2 chicken thighs in the skillet and cook for 6 minutes.
- Flip thighs and cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Remove thighs from skillet and place on a separate paper towel-lined plate.
- Add remaining avocado oil to the skillet, then repeat with remaining chicken thighs.
- While chicken is cooking, combine lemon juice, butter, ⅛ teaspoon sea salt and thyme in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Stir until butter is fully melted.
- Drizzle sauce over cooked chicken thighs just before serving.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of thyme, if desired.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 345 calories, 23g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 176mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g sugar, 31g protein, 359mg potassium, 295mg phosphorus