This is really a case of “what is old becomes new.” My mother used to make these for us when we were growing up in the 1960’s. (Please don’t do the math on that)!
By Mary Beth Peiffer, Cancer Center dietitian.
- 5-oz can of tuna in water
- 1∕2 onion, chopped fine
- 1∕2 cup of whole-wheat breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 egg
- 3 to 5 tablespoons of olive oil for frying
- Mix the tuna, onion, and egg together in a bowl with 1∕4 cup of the breadcrumbs and make into patties about the same size.
- Coat each patty with the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Fry in the olive oil until slightly brown.