- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- Optional: parsley and basil chopped
- Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots, and zucchini and sauté until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook ~1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and soy sauce and stir to blend. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Optional: Put all ingredients in blender/vitamix and process till smooth.
- Serve with parsley and basil.
Author Abbie Gellman